Monday, June 18, 2012

Sodium: A Reality Check

For years I have had a general understanding of how many calories are in the foods that I'm eating, whether or not I am actively counting them. While this has become somewhat second nature for me, I've recently started looking at some of the the other things on the Nutritional Label. 


Now, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but in my very limited knowledge I know that sodium is used in many processed foods to preserve or flavor. It is also what makes you look and feel bloated and one of the leading causes of high blood pressure. So, along with calories I'm starting to take a look at the sodium content in what I'm intaking. Just start taking a look at the sodium in your food--I think it will shock you! 


Just a quick example: I was in Trader Joes and I grabbed their Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and the Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth and checked the labels... here's what I found:



And The Winner is....

500 MORE MGs OF SODIUM IN REGULAR VS LOW-SODIUM! 

Apologies for the CAPS, but SERIOUSLY?!? This really opened my eyes and I will absolutely be taking a look at sodium content as well as calories from now on. 

...and just for fun, check out the Worst Restaurant Foods In America (as of 2011). Note the sodium content of Wendy's Baconator *cough* 2780mg *cough*!!!! 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment